Wednesday, December 11, 2013

This Jew's Definitive Top 5 Christmas Songs: The 2013 Edition

Christmas Season 2013

#1  "Last Christmas" by Wham still holds onto it's number 1 spot.  It is in my Spotify library all year long.  Christmas tragedy.  Maybe next year he'll find someone to love.

#2  "This Christmas" by Donnie Hathaway.  The opening bars of this song have so much soul that it is almost impossible not to dance.  Let me be clear.  I do not dance.  I also do not dance at my in-laws three spiked eggnogs in.  No, really...I don't.

3.  "White Christmas"  by Bing Crosby.  It's not that I like Bing Crosby very much (although I do like when he sings with Bob Hope) but I love that a Jew (Irving Berlin) wrote one of the most quintessential Christmas songs.  Listen for the minor chord at the end of this verse "may your days be merry and bright".  It doesn't get more Jewish than that.

4.  "Jingle Bells" by Sinatra.  Swinging Christmas songs.  I'm in.  Buble counts too.  A close runner up is Buble and the Puppini sisters singing Jingle Bells.

5.  "It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" by Andy Williams.  The instrumental crescendo alone earns it a place on my list every year.  Classic.


I included my previous two lists below.  Let me know your favorite Christmas songs.



PREVIOUS LISTS

Christmas Season 2012
 
#1 "Last Christmas" by Wham. Is it gay? Very. Especially the whispering of "Merry Christmas". Regardless, I like it.


#2 "Little St. Nick". I think I like it because its like 90 seconds long. Sometimes that's all I can take of a Christmas song.

#3 "This Christmas" by Donnie Hathaway. Its one of the only Christmas songs with soul for G-D Sake.

#4 Still making the list this year...Elvis with "Blue Christmas".

#5 Rounding out the list is Andy Williams with "Its the Most Wonderful Time of the Year". Its a classic.


Christmas Season 2011

#1  So what is this Jew's #1 favorite Christmas song? Its The King singing "Blue Christmas". Even though its not true -

#2  Andy Williams comes in at #2 with "Its the Most Wonderful Time of the Year". Guys can't have all the fun.

#3 Belongs to Earth Kitt with "Santa Baby". 

 #4 is an obscure oldie and I have no idea why snow/cold equals Christmas but my pick for #4 is "Baby Its Cold Outside" by Pearl Bailey and Hot Lips Page. You can take all your other versions and shove them. This is how the song is meant to be sung.

 #5  I don't even hear #5 anymore. The last spot belongs to RUN DMC'S "Christmas in Hollis". Fuck Yeah, that's how you rock Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment